SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, May 16, 2015

From That, To This: Breakfast Quinoa



They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I hate to admit that I am still not really a fan. Maybe it's just because I didn't grow up eating it and still haven't disciplined myself to do so, but I probably skip this meal at least 4/7 days a week.

That being said, I am trying to get into the habit of healthier eating which means including breakfast in the routine. To spice it up a little some days, I have started making Breakfast Quinoa which is another deliciously easy recipe my roommate Torrey has shared with me. I don't know what I'll learn to cook when she's gone next year!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup quinoa
vanilla
strawberries
almond milk
honey
shredded coconut

(Not Pictured)
1/2 cup water
cinnamon

Begin by putting the quinoa and water in a pot on the stove. Add a splash of vanilla, turn it on high, and let it cook. The quinoa should take about 10 minutes to be done, but be sure to keep an eye on it. Burnt quinoa is not fun. You'll know it's done when the water is completely gone.

While you're waiting for the quinoa to be cooked, wash and cut your strawberries, or berry of choice. Blackberries would probably be delicious in this!

Once the quinoa is done, put it into your bowl,  add desired amount of almond milk (sort of like oatmeal) and toss on the berries. Lastly, drizzle some honey, sprinkle some coconut and add a dash of cinnamon. That's it! (Told you it was easy!)

I really like breakfast quinoa because it's similar to oatmeal, but not as thick and heavy. As I said, I'm not a big breakfast eater, so the lighter the food, the better. Plus, the quinoa is only as sweet as you make it, so you don't have to worry about the early morning stomach ache from sugary cereal (unless you pile on the honey...)

What's really great about it is that there are so many ways you can make it different and make it your own. In fact, after I had taken these photos, I noticed shredded almonds in our cabinet and tossed some on. Yum!

Let me know what you think! I hope you like it!

Peace,
Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment