SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Review: Rent the Runway


On Friday I was given the opportunity to help table at a young alumni fundraiser for the office of the university that I work for. The theme was Great Gatsby, which I love, but I knew right off the bat that there wasn't really anything in my closet that fit the bill.


So, I began searching the internet... Google, Polyvore, Shopstyle, basically any search engine that I thought might lead me to a 20's-ish dress at a low price number. You know the drill.

When I told my roommate about the party, she instantly mentioned Rent the Runway. Why didn't I think of that?! I've known about the site and their beautiful selection of designer dresses for a while now, but have never had any occasion to try them out. Until now!

I ended up finding this great gold, Erin Fetherston sequin dress that even had review photos of other women wearing it at Gatsby themed weddings and parties.


My only hesitation was in the sizing. In dresses I range from wearing anything from a 0 to a 10 (I wish I was joking) so it's very hard for me to guess what size I should rent. Luckily, Rent the Runway sends you two sizes of the dress you want! And so I guestimated what sizing I would need in the gold dress and ordered.

Unfortunately for me, one of the sizes of the dress wasn't returned on time and RtR had to send me another dress for one of the sizes. They chose a silver sequin dress by Milly which was very beautiful, but even from the photos I knew it was not something I would have selected for my body type.


The dresses arrived and the gold was at least a size to big causing a bit of fabric bulging in the back and sides, but it was far better than the silver, which fit, but as I suspected, was not flattering on my hourglass figure. Such a bummer.

I ended up wearing the gold because at that point I really didn't have another option, but it also wasn't super noticeable that it was too big. I could feel it based on how the fabric hung and where the waist fell, but the sequins definitely helped to hide the issues.



Overall, I am pleased with my RtR experience. I do wish that they would have let me choose an alternative dress rather than just guessing what I might like, but I am thankful that they sent an alternative. A friend of mine who was going to the event ended up wearing the silver, so it all worked out.

If you ever have a need for a fancy dress and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, they are a great option with quick and easy shipping and returns.

Peace,
Sarah

**linking up with PumpsandPushups, StyleElixir, ThePleatedPoppy, SydneyFashionHunter, CraftyCurlyMom, Mix&Match Fashion

6 comments :

  1. I LOVE that they send you two sizes! That's my #1 issue with ordering anything online, if it's a website that's new to me I have no idea what size to opt for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sizing is so tricky, Lisa! If they didn't offer two sizes, I probably would not have rented. Thanks for stopping by!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! I have heard of Rent the Runway but have never rented anything from them. Have a great day!

    Danielle
    www.spring2spring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Danielle! Let me know if you ever do rent from them. I'd love to hear what you think!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  3. Ah! I love this! I'll totally have to check out that site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! Be prepared for a time commitment. They're beautiful dresses suck you right in haha
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete