SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, July 3, 2015

Camino: What I Packed


Packing for this trip has been a real point of anxiety for me. I am a chronic over packer who likes to be prepared for just about anything. However, because we are hiking through Spain, we had to be able to fit all of our belongings in our packs on our backs. To add to that, it’s recommended that your pack only weigh about 10% of your body weight. Mine ended up coming in at 14.1 lb without water in my water bottle, so it should be right on the money. It would have been even lighter, but I am committed to bringing my DSLR. Hopefully my photos will be worth the extra weight…

Here is what I packed:
(Keep in mind that we plan to do laundry multiple times on the trip and I also plan to share sunscreen and detergent.)

  • Three 2 Tanks (I ended up taking out the pink spaghetti strap top because I noticed on my walk around the airport that my pack straps were a little irritating on bare skin.)
  • 2 Tee Shirts (one for sleeping)
  • 4 Pairs of sports shorts
I really focused (and even went out to get a couple more) on loose, comfortable fitting materials. I have t-shirts that I like to wear or run in that I knew I would not want to hike in. Make sure the clothes you choose are easy to wear and hopefully will dry quickly too.


  • 1 light weight dress 
  • 1 cardigan to wear over the dress if necessary in certain sites we visit

Toiletries:

Nothing too out of the ordinary here (soaps, toothbrush and paste, deodorant, hairbrush, etc). I was lucky to have a few samples of hair care products from birch boxes that were slightly lighter than other travel ones. I made sure to bring a cheap, light razor rather than a heavier one. If I had thought of it sooner, I probably would have bought a smaller brush from the travel isle at Target. I know it sounds silly because the regular size probably doesn't weigh that much more, but the ounces add up.

Misc.

  • Buff (it’s a wider headband that will hopefully help keep my hair off of my face and keep me less sweaty)
  • Sunglasses
  • Headlamp
  • Water bottle
  • Journal (small moleskin) & pen
  • Light weight towel and wash cloth (from Amazon)
  • Small first aid kit   the group is bringing a legit first aid kit to share so I left this guy behind.
  • Misc. meds - pain killers, tums, and my trusty inhaler. 
Not pictured:
  • Sleeping bag (we are staying at hostels and could pay for bedding, but that adds up $$)
  • Camera (Nikon D3100)
  • iPhone
  • Baseball cap
  • Undergarments and socks (about 5 of each)
  • 2 pairs of spandex to help reduce chaffing (cute, I know)
  • Sandals for shower time and giving my feet a break


Looking at it in list form, there is a surprising amount for such a light weight. I suppose the shoes don’t really count since they’ll be on my feet. It also helps that gym shorts and tank tops aren’t heavy.

After the Camino is finished I will be sure to let you know what works and what doesn’t. I’m sure I’ll learn some tips from my companions along the way too.


Peace,
Sarah

4 comments :

  1. Ahh! Great job on the packing! I would love to go backpacking but am not sure if I could pack so lightly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! You would be surprised what knowing that you will carry everything you bring will do to your list! You should definitely give it a try sometime!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am a total chronic overpacked too! This is such a great minimalist list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the challenge making it minimalist, but it certainly beat carrying extra weight! Thanks for stopping by, Shannon!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete