SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, February 1, 2016

5 Weekly Graces Vol. 15


Oh hey there, February! Where did you come from? I can barely even sort through everything that happened in January let alone think about plans for this month. But to be fair, classes begin this week which means my seemingly flourishing social life will be coming to a very abrupt end. It was nice while it lasted...

Our trip to Jerusalem ended about a week and a half before the beginning of the semester - which is awesome because I truly don't know that I would have been in a good space to just dive right in to classes. Because of the gap in between, last week was pretty relaxing with a great mix of fun times with friends.


1. Back to Work

Y'all, I LOVE my job. I love working with passionate and talented students and amazing coworkers. Juggling school and work at the same time can be pretty rough, but I am always overjoyed and energized when I am able to just work. Last week we went through the application and selection process for our immersion students and I learned which trip I will be accompanying over spring break - East LA! I'm really excited to meet our group this week and begin the preparation process. Here's hoping that I love where I am working after graduating as much as here!

2. Karma Wednesdays

There's a movie theater in Oakland called The New Parkway Theater and each week they have "Karma Wednesday" where they show a slightly older movie and invite customers to pay what they want for a ticket. A group of friends and I went to watch the latest Hunger Games and it was a blast. The seats in the theater are groups of random chairs and couches which gives the space a fun, eclectic feel. I'll definitely be returning again this semester.

3. Bob's

My first year in Berkeley a couple of friends were helping me locate paczkis for Mardi Gras and we stumbled upon Bob's Donuts - a tiny, hole-in-the-wall donut shop in San Francisco that did not have my polish donuts, but did have the best donuts I have ever eaten! They make everything fresh and more often than not I have been there while they're making a new batch. It is so fun to watch! Because they're in the city, I don't get to go super often - which is probably for the best - but last week I was visiting a friend at USF and we made a last second decision to hop on over to Bob's to have a treat. Always a good decision. If you're ever in San Francisco and looking for a great donut, Bob's is the way to go. Just be aware that there will probably be a line.


4. Ballin'

I am one of the least coordinated and athletic people you will ever know. I wish I was exaggerating, but alas, it is true. Yet even with my lack of skills, my classmates continue to invite me to play basketball in the park when they go. They've seen me play. They know it isn't pretty. I always appreciate the invites and also enjoy running around on the court, so there are some days like last Thursday that I accept their invitation and play. It is always such a great time! This week we played 21 and it was a blast! I'm just really grateful that no matter how much I stink, I always feel welcome and included. Their patience is admirable!

5. Birthday Parties

Birthday parties are the best! It's so much fun gathering together to celebrate the life of a friend and to fill the time together with fun and laughter. On Friday a group of us gathered for dinner, drinks and darts at a local bar for one friend's birthday and then on Saturday we danced the night away at another friend's house for her special day. There was just so much joy! I offered to bake the cake for one of the parties which was the perfect way to pass the time on a rainy Friday afternoon. I even had time to make a fun cake topper which I think turned out pretty darn cute (if I do say so myself). For those interested, you can find the chocolate cake recipe I used here.


Even as I re-read and edit this post, my heart is just so full from all of the people who helped make last week so wonderful! Here's hoping the rest of my last semester is just as full of love, friendship and laughter!

What were some highlights from your week?

Peace,
Sarah

**Linking up with EmberGrey and #KeepingtheGood

12 comments :

  1. I am so glad you have a job which you love so much! That's so super important. But more importantly, I need you to send me some of those donuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I literally just laughed out loud! If there was a guarantee that they would last through the post, I would totally send some your way!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. Karma Wednesday sounds like a great thing for a theater to do! I'd go if a theater close to me had that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best, Crystal! I think all theaters should do it!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  3. I love how positive this post is! It was a great morning read and made me ready to start my day happy and excited for life- hah! But there is a new movie theatre near me- a little different as it is more of a dinner theater, but you have inspired me to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Desirae! You're too sweet. And a dinner theater sounds like a ton of fun! Let me know if you try it!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  4. That's awesome you went to Jerusalem and that movie theater sounds really amazing!!

    Some highlights of the week for me have been feeling super productive and the warm spring weather that has been happening randomly in Georgia. Thanks for joining the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't warm weather just make everything better?? We've been in the high 70s here and everything just seems more doable! Thanks for reading, Autumn!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you love your job! That's such a blessing!! And oh I love a good donut!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job and great donuts are the key to happiness haha. Thanks for reading, Katie!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  6. That little happy b-day sign is sooo cute!! I love any reason to eat cake or cupcakes for that matter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! A birthday is definitely a great excuse to celebrate with sweets!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete