SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

How To Make A Latte - At Home!


Y'all I spend way to much on coffee at Starbucks, Peet's, and just about every other coffee shop out there #caffeinaddict. And apart from the seasonal fancy-drink (I'm looking at you PSL), I typically just order a plain latte which is really just espresso and milk. Cheaper than many options, yes, but still overpriced and those cups add up!

I was talking about this to a friend of mine and she told me a secret that has since blown my mind and saved me money. You can make a latte at home - without a fancy machine! And it is incredibly easy!


Begin by brewing your espresso - or really strong coffee if you're like me and don't have an espresso maker (though then it's technically a cafe au lait with a lot of foam...)

To make the hot milk and foam, you will need a tall, microwaveable container with a lid. This could be a mason jar (you'll remove the cap) or even a plastic Tupperware.

Pour the desired amount of milk into the container, but be sure to leave a good amount of room for the foam to expand. Put on the lid and shake until you notice it's becoming foamy - roughly a minute. Then remove the lid and microwave the milk for about 45 seconds. Once it's done you will have a good amount of foam and some nice hot milk.

Next, fill your mug with the desired amount of espresso/coffee. Hold back the foam with a spoon as you add the amount of hot milk you would like. Then use the spoon to add your desired amount of foam and voila!


(If you want to get fancy, you can also sprinkle on a topping like cinnamon or cocoa. Yum.)

And there you have it. A quick, simple way to drink your coffee at home and save some extra cash.

Are there any other caffein addicts out there who've tried this method or know of any others?

Peace,
Sarah

**Linking up with #RecipeoftheWeek, Two Cup Tuesday, Whimsy Wednesdays and Create-Link-Inspire

12 comments :

  1. awesome! thanks for this! I don't even have a coffee maker so this is helpful!

    stop by and chat with me ♥ http://storybookapothecary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for reading! (And sorry for such a late response!)
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried to brew my own coffee, because I don't have a machine. This sounds like a great idea! I will hopefully try it soon!

    Mikayla | A Seersucker State of Mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you give it a try, Mikayla! Thanks for reading and sorry for such a late response!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  3. I really need to buy my own coffee maker. This would just be perfect on the weekends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent way to save on money if you're a coffee drinker! Thanks for reading!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! I can't wait to try it. My other tip is using a dark roast coffee on the Strong setting on my Keurig ... gets it almost as strong as espresso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE strong coffee and pretending it's espresso - though I am thinking about getting a stove-top espresso maker so my lattes are actually lattes haha Thanks for reading, Christa!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  5. Oh nice! Thanks for the recipe!

    Roxi - www.goldenpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Roxi! Hope it serves you well!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  6. I am obsessed with lattes. Thanks for sharing! Can you do this with almond milk instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I am not sure about the almond milk. If it is able to bubble like regular milk I think it would work. Let me know if you try it! I'd love to hear the results!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete