SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Budget


My goal for Lent this year was to focus on being in solidarity with the poor and marginalized in our world and one of the few ways I did so was by being more intentional about my spending. My aim was to refrain from purchasing any clothing, jewelry, shoes, etc unless I knew the product was ethically traded. While I know that not all of my future purchases will be Fair Trade, after these 40 days, I am definitely more committed to intentionality and awareness when it comes to my shopping patterns and how they affect the world.

The only thing that I purchased prior to Easter this past Sunday was this gorgeous pair of beaded earrings that I picked up while on immersion with students in Los Angeles. I bought them from a market stand where the owner travels down to Puebla, Mexico to bring beautiful, handcrafted products back to Boyle Heights to share with buyers. If you're ever in the neighborhood, head over to Mariachi Plaza and check out her stand and some other awesome venders! (I also bought a beautiful mug from her, but that didn't really apply to my budget posts :P )


Post Easter, I did pop in to Anthropologie while waiting for an appointment and pick up my new favorite tunic. I bought it in blush, but also really love the light blue (still available) and according to the reviews there is a black version which I might have to track down. It's incredibly soft and super comfortable. I would say it runs a little large. The small fit well, but I decided to go with a medium for extra length and the ability to pair it with leggings.


Earrings: $6
Total: $38

I also finally got my Maps by A. Jaffe necklace in the mail after the original had been lost/ never delivered! I won it back in December from Jessica's lovely giveaway and have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I've been wearing it non-stop since.

 (Side note: A. Jaffe was so helpful and supportive in solving the problem and getting the necklace to me asap. Couldn't have asked for more consideration or professionalism.)


Coming from a small, country town with very few roads, I decided to zoom my map out and place the diamond in a spot that not only covers where I grew up, but also Cleveland which also holds a piece of my heart.

And that's all for my March Budget. Short and sweet :)

 How did yours go? Any great finds? I'd love to hear!

Peace,
Sarah

***linking up with Fran over at Franish The Blog

18 comments :

  1. Oh, I'm so happy the necklace arrived! It's beautiful! (I'm sorry to hear that you ran into a few shipping problems, though. Eep!)

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the wait, Jessica! Thanks again for hosting the contest!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for map necklaces and accessories. It feeds the wanderlust in me :) Anything with a map printed on it is a surefire buy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps are the best! I definitely share in the wanderlust, friend. Thanks for reading!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  3. I lovelovelove your Fair Trade mission - such a wonderful idea!! And congratulations on winning Jessica's giveaway - I love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those earrings remind me of ones my mom used to make when I was younger. Love the colour of them! I also love that you refrained from purchasing anything that wasn't ethically traded for lent. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! That's amazing that your mom could make earrings like that. Such a talent!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  5. I love the necklace! And what a sweet idea zooming out the area. My town is very small too and I would probably do the same. So unique. And I LOVE that anthro tunic. So simple and the lines are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meghan! Small towns are great, except for road mapping haha
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  6. you are so cute! do you wear a tank top under the tunic or is it modest-enough as is? (not super prude over here but don't want cleavage hanging out- and I'm a sucker for comfy Anthro on sale!) <3
    Found you @ the Peony Project

    www.lucymargaret.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy! Sorry for such a late response to your question. I wear it both ways, but also have a smaller chest. Hope this helps!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  7. I love that necklace A LOT and that is really a huge steal from Anthro. Those earrings are really cute as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did this during Lent. I've done something similar in the past. Also, are you from Ashtabula? My family is all originally from there and I was born in Geneva, OH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly! I am not. I'm from Portage County. If you are familiar with Kent State, I grew up about 15-20 minutes away from there.
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  9. I love that you made your money saving challenge to benefit others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adriana! I hope to continue with mindful buying!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete