SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

From That, To This.


Cooking is something I have always enjoyed doing. Not only is it fun, but for me it's also a pretty big stress-reliever. However, between school, work, and other responsibilities, I don't always make time to try new recipes. To fix this and get my creative (cooking) juices flowing, I present to you: "From That, To This"- a part of the blog where I will share a new recipe I've tried every week or so. I am hoping that this might hold me accountable to try making new foods and to focus energy on something fun!

Quinoa and Veggies.

Roasted veggies and quinoa have been my "go-to" as of late. Especially beets. I just can't get enough of them! The color, the taste, yum! So, today I thought I would share a meal I have eaten way too many times this month.

Ingredients:
quinoa
1 small beet
1/2 sweet potato
1/2 avocado

(Not Pictured)
water
salt
pepper
olive oil
cinnamon
baby spinach

 Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash vegetables. Cut beet and sweet potato into about 1/4 inch thick circles. Place them on a baking tray and lightly drizzle olive oil on top. (Keep the vegetables on separate sides of the tray.) Sprinkle salt and pepper over the beets and sprinkle cinnamon over the sweet potatoes. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are at desired softness. 

While the veggies are in the oven, combine desired amount of quinoa along with two times as much water in a small pot on the stovetop. I usually make 1/4 cup quinoa which means I add 1/2 cup of water. If you want 1/2 cup quinoa, add 1 cup of water, etc. Bring the pot to a steady boil on medium heat setting.

I recommend adding spices you like to the pot as the water is boiling. This time, I used salt, pepper, and lots of cumin and it came out great. Other times I've just used pepper. The quinoa is cooked when the water has all evaporated. 

Note: the time will vary based on how much quinoa you chose to make. I recommend keeping a close eye on the stove as it tends to cook faster than expected. Burnt quinoa is no bueno.

Now that the cooking portion is complete, all you have to do is fill your plate with the quinoa, beets, sweet potatoes. I also added half of a sliced avocado and some baby spinach to mix in some raw vegetables with the cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.


Very simple. Fairly quick. And really tasty. 

 Feel free to leave any comments, feedback or questions. I hope those who try enjoy. I'd love to hear any suggestions or how you make it your own!

Peace,
Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment