SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, October 15, 2021

4 Rules for Seasonal Decorating

I read a new (to me) quote on Instagram last week that said, "in autumn the trees teach us how beautiful it can be to let things go" and I am hoping to bring that mindset into this particular season of my own life as my family and I gear up for some new transitions and new rhythms as a soon-to-be family of four.

Like just about every other person out there, I love fall. I love the crisp air, the changing leaves, the spicy scents and tastes, and just about everything this season has to offer.

That includes decorating inside and outside with ALL of the pumpkins and other autumnal goodies. 

I've gathered quite the collection of fall decor over the years and try to follow a few rules when it comes to shopping for fall (or any seasonal) decor that I thought I would share with you:

1) Only buy a few pieces at a time.

I know it can be tempting to knock everything out in one swoop, especially if you are decorating a new home, but you don't have to go full out your first year of decorating and with fall, a little can go a long way. 

Instead of buying all the trendy pumpkins from this season, find 2 or 3 things you really love and are sure you can use again with your room designs. Not only does it save you money each year, but it ensures there is space for new items if you see something you absolutely adore instead of bringing something new home and having no place left to display it. 

2) The dollar section is your friend.

Because seasonal decor can go through trends, be sure to check out the dollar sections or cheaper decor sections in stores when you're shopping. So many of my fall decorations came from Target's dollar spot and I've been able to decorate multiple rooms with various trends that match their decor. Last year's black and white gingham pumpkin trend looks amazing in our kitchen, and the muted cool tones from this year's mini pumpkins look adorable in our family room. 

3) Find things that can be used across seasons and holidays.

Instead of buying a lot of Halloween themed jack-o-lanterns, try buying more autumnal pumpkins that make sense to have on display for more than just October. Similarly, see if there is any fall home decor that can cross into other seasons - like a welcome mat that references cooler weather (oh hey fall and winter) or a floral arrangement that has warm tones, but does not scream "autumn" and will look great on your end table year-round (see below for the one from Target last year that I use all year). 

4) Wait to shop until the end-of-season sales.

You read that right. That vast majority of my fall (and Christmas) decorations are purchased right around the time that they can't be used anymore and saved for the following year. It seems counter-intuitive, but with end-of-season clearance deals that cut prices up to 70%, you really can't beat the savings a little bit of patience can afford you. 

That is not to say that I don't purchase any new items when certain stores erect gorgeous displays of pumpkiny goodness (I'm looking at you, Target). But I do try to limit how much I spend and what I choose to purchase at full price. 

What I bought this year:

This year I splurged and bought this beautiful fall wreath from Hearth and Hand. (The only reason I did not wait for this to go on sale is a previous experience with a beautiful magnolia wreath that sold out and was never restocked.) I love that it is not specific to a certain holiday and can be used for long stretches of time year after year. Its simplicity also allows it to be dressed up for special occasions. 

I also purchased a new welcome mat and layering rug that can both be used for fall and winter. I hadn't updated ours in years and our old welcome mat is barely legible. (Speaking of, does anyone know what type of paint would be good to use to refurbish an old one?)


Admittedly, those three purchases already put me over my usual decor budget, which is something I will keep in mind for next year and upcoming holidays. 

My final purchases are more budget-friendly and the types of things I usually buy early in the season. A woven cattail leaf pumpkin, warm cider and cinnamon pumpkin candle and three small pumpkins from the dollar section. $13 total and easily incorporated into our home. 

Other than the mums and pumpkins from Trader Joe's and a local nursery, everything else displayed around our house has been collected through the years, mostly from TJMaxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods, Hobby Lobby, and (you guessed it) Target. 

My son broke one of the ceramic pumpkins I've had for years within four days of it being displayed. Luckily it was a clean break that I was able to super glue, but it was a clearance find at TJMaxx for $6 and not the end of the world. My cat broke a smaller $3 pumpkin from Hobby Lobby a few years back. It's missing a small piece but still gets used with the broken part turned toward the wall.

Moving homes has also made certain decorations not work as well in the space and I don't feel nearly as bad packing away the few items we didn't have a spot for this year as I would have if I'd spent a lot of money on them. (It's less than $10 worth of things.)

Decorating our home is one of my favorite things to do. I love the sense of newness and excitement transitioning from one season to another can bring and I am always so grateful when others notice the time and care we put into our home. I hope the rules I shared help you with your seasonal decorating and I can't wait to see the fun finds you grab this year for fall and (sooner than you think) winter.

Peace,
Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment