SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Cinque Terre Part 2: Manarola


More from my trip to Cinque Terre. I really am trying my hardest to catch up on travel posts because 

1) I don't want to put up a post of my summer trip months later 
2) I have friends and family nagging me to share photos (here's lookin' at you mom!) and 
3) I do really love looking at the photos and revisiting my experiences through them. 

Corny, I know, but that's me folks.


The second of the 5 Lands that I visited was Manarola which had, in my opinion, the best view and was most accessible to anyone of any age. 

Often when I travel I have thoughts of "oh, my grandma would really love this" but then have to remind myself that she's not as young and fit as she used to be. Still a little firecracker, but not able to walk many distances or stairs. 


Most of the villages in Cinque Terre were easy to access (minus Corniglia. So. Many. Stairs.) However, their breathtaking views required a little bit of a hike. Not terrible and you don't have to be in the best shape, but I know for people like my grandma, it would be a no-go.


Manarola's train station stops beyond a flat tunnel's walk into the city. You do need to walk up a few (maybe 15) stairs to get to the side of town with the sea, but then there is a ramp to walk down through the narrow, brightly colored road and up to the cliffside. 


(Again, please ignore the sloppiness of my outfit. Apparently the fabric doesn't do well after getting drench from a downpour while in Vernazza. Sloppy or not, I still needed to get a photo in front of this view! - The outfit is cute when it's clean, pressed and dry, I promise...)


To get a view of the town itself, you just follow along a path to your right that winds along a separate mountainside. There is a slight incline, but the path is wide and there are benches along the way, so if you or someone you're with do have difficulties, there are resting points.


Again, this town shouldn't be too difficult for everyone to walk. As for the other villages that aren't as easy or you need to hike around to find a good view (specifically Corniglia and Riomaggiore which I will talk about later) some of the walking can be tough. But do it if you can. It will be worth the sweat. 


For all 5 of the lands, bring water. Spain and Italy have many water fountains in cities and towns where you can fill your bottle. Most are drinkable and in my experience, those that are not have signs indicating so that are easily understood even if you don't speak the language. 


Peace,
Sarah

4 comments :

  1. Loved looking at your photos! I lived in Italy for a year, but Cinque Terre is one place I did not get to! Someday... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I hope you get to go back some day! There's so much in Italy to see and explore! Sorry for the delay in response! Thanks for reading! Peace, Sarah

      Delete
  2. WoW! So beautiful!! I hope to go to Cinque Terre one day! I visited Nice in 2013 and have been wanting to return the past summers. Europe is so gorgeous, especially with all those colorful buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was breathtaking, Elle! I hope you have the chance to go some day!
      Peace, Sarah

      Delete